by David Burtka
106 killer recipes, 16 creative party themes, and 250 gorgeous photos--plus playlists and easy planning tips--make LIFE IS A PARTY the indispensable cookbook and guide for home cooks.
Chef, actor, and entertaining authority David Burtka knows that every day can be a party. Over a lifetime of throwing epic gatherings, the Cordon Bleu-trained Burtka has perfected the formula for creating easy and perfect get-togethers at home. Now, in the pages of his debut cookbook, he's sharing all of his secrets and an intimate look into the lives of one of Hollywood's favorite families. Everything you need to throw a memorable party, or to make a delicious weeknight meal, can be found right here.
Whether your event and budget are modest or you're going all-out, and whether the guest list is an intimate crew or it's a blowout bash, David's sixteen party themes-from cozy game nights at home to elegant New Year's fêtes-are built around doable, show-stopping menus that take the guesswork out of high-impact hosting. Complete with endless and fun ways to mix-and-match dishes, create stunning decor, prep ahead, and get guests involved, David helps you put all the elements in place to make every party a success without ever losing your cool.
At the heart of the book are David's amazing recipes, including delicious twists on comfort classics like Corn Cakes with Bacon Jam, Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, and Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. And you don't need to wait for a party to try recipes like Ham, Egg, and Cheese Calzones; Mint Pesto Pasta; and Thyme and Gruyère Popovers. Never one to miss the opportunity to toast friends and family, David also shows you how to make delicious cocktails for a crowd: think Mojito Slushies, Charred Peach and Plum Sangria, and Cucumber-Lime Spritzers. So raise a glass and get cooking! Because there's no better time than now to make your life a party.
MAKES 2 DRINKS
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Active Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 Persian cucumber, chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 3 ounces vodka
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup
- 1 ounce green Chartreuse liqueur
- 1 English cucumber, shaved into long ribbons (1 ribbon per serving)
- 2 edible flowers, such as pansies or violets (optional)
1. Put the chopped Persian cucumber and the basil leaves in a cocktail shaker and muddle until well smashed and fragrant. Add a few ice cubes, then pour in the vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup, and Chartreuse.
2. Place the top on the shaker and shake like the dickens, about 20 seconds. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into two rocks glasses filled with ice. Garnish each with a cucumber ribbon and an edible flower.
Omit the Chartreuse and replace the vodka with 1/2 cup of a nonalcoholic spirit, such as Seedlip.