106 killer recipes, 16 creative party themes, and 250 gorgeous photos--plus playlists and easy planning tips--make LIFE IS A PARTY the indispensable cookbook and guide for home cooks.
Chef, actor, and entertaining authority David Burtka knows that every day can be a party. Over a lifetime of throwing epic gatherings, the Cordon Bleu-trained Burtka has perfected the formula for creating easy and perfect get-togethers at home. Now, in the pages of his debut cookbook, he's sharing all of his secrets and an intimate look into the lives of one of Hollywood's favorite families. Everything you need to throw a memorable party, or to make a delicious weeknight meal, can be found right here.
Whether your event and budget are modest or you're going all-out, and whether the guest list is an intimate crew or it's a blowout bash, David's sixteen party themes-from cozy game nights at home to elegant New Year's fêtes-are built around doable, show-stopping menus that take the guesswork out of high-impact hosting. Complete with endless and fun ways to mix-and-match dishes, create stunning decor, prep ahead, and get guests involved, David helps you put all the elements in place to make every party a success without ever losing your cool.
At the heart of the book are David's amazing recipes, including delicious twists on comfort classics like Corn Cakes with Bacon Jam, Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, and Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. And you don't need to wait for a party to try recipes like Ham, Egg, and Cheese Calzones; Mint Pesto Pasta; and Thyme and Gruyère Popovers. Never one to miss the opportunity to toast friends and family, David also shows you how to make delicious cocktails for a crowd: think Mojito Slushies, Charred Peach and Plum Sangria, and Cucumber-Lime Spritzers. So raise a glass and get cooking! Because there's no better time than now to make your life a party.
MAKES 12 DRINKS (2 batches of 6)
Prep Time: 40 minutes | Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 6 hours (includes freezing time)
These easy, amazing drinks are stealthily alcoholic, so be careful!
- 2 cups fresh lime juice (from 12 to 16 limes)
- 2 cups Fresh Mint Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 24 ounces white rum (or 24 ounces lemonade for a mocktail)
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
1. In a pitcher or large glass liquid measuring cup, thoroughly mix the lime juice, simple syrup, and water. Pour the mixture into ice cube trays and freeze completely, at least 6 hours.
2. To make a batch of 6 mojito slushies, count out half the frozen mint-lime cubes and put them in a blender. Add about two-thirds the amount of regular ice cubes as mint-lime cubes, then pour in 12 ounces of the rum or lemonade and blend until smooth.
3. Divide the slushies among six glasses and garnish each with a mint sprig before serving. Blend the second batch of slushies just before serving them so they don’t melt!