In its original form, this recipe uses ground pork. Here you can start with beefy plant-based ground, go straight to plant-based chorizo, or make your own Tempeh and Mushroom Chorizo. Whichever you opt for, the spicy “meat” mingling with thick udon noodles and plenty of cabbage makes for an easy, hearty dish with plenty of personality.
1 (8-ounce) package udon noodles or 8 ounces linguine
2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral vegetable oil, divided
5 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
10 to 12 ounces plant-based ground or chorizo
1/4 cup good-quality natural ketchup
2 teaspoons sriracha or other hot sauce, or more to taste
2 teaspoons smoked paprika or barbecue seasoning
1/4 cup bottled teriyaki sauce or more to taste, divided
2 teaspoons grated fresh or squeezebottle ginger
4 to 5 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
Crushed peanuts or sesame seeds for topping
- Cook the noodles according to package directions until al dente, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a stir-fry pan. Add the cabbage and garlic and stir-fry over high heat until the cabbage is crip-tender and just starting to be touched with brown spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the ground (break up with a spatula if clumpy), ketchup, sriracha, paprika, and about 1 tablespoon of the teriyaki sauce.
- Stir over medium-high heat until well-blended. Let cook undisturbed for a minute or two, until the underside is browned, then turn the mixture over with a spatula and let the underside brown again. Break up the mixture again if necessary.
- Add the cooked noodles, ginger, remaining teriyaki sauce, and a bit more than half the scallions to the pan. Use a large fork to distribute the spicy ground through the noodles while stir-frying over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve straight from the pan, topping each serving with crushed peanuts or sesame seeds.
Everyone's favorite meaty dishes go vegan with delicious plant-based recipes featuring beefy crumbles, chicken-style strips, sausage, bacon, seafood, and more!
Whether you're exploring vegan options for environmental, ethical, or health reasons, Nava Atlas's protein-focused recipes extend a warm welcome to the plant-powered protein revolution!
Today's innovative meat alternatives prove you don't have to sacrifice meaty flavors to enjoy a plant-based diet. You'll discover new ways to prepare familiar favorites, from nostalgic classics to bold global fare with dishes are kinder to the earth and better for you.
Plant-Powered Protein offers 125 recipes for using plant-based proteins thoughtfully, incorporating whole foods and fresh vegetables. Bridging the divide between the traditional comfort food diet and the whole food plant-based approach, you'll find an array of flavorful, easy recipes including:
- Soups and stews like New England Clamless Chowder and Beefy Barley & Bean Stew
- Comfort favorites like Classic Meat Loaf and Italian-Style Sausage & Peppers
- Global-inspired dishes like Korean Bulgogi Bowls, Mongolian-ish Beef, and Thai-Inspired Beefy Salad
- Diner specialties like Gyros, Philly Cheesesteaks, and "Tuna" Melts;
- Indulgent eats like Carne Asada Fries; Pulled Protein Tacos, and Baked Spaghetti Pie
- Brunch winners like Biscuits with Sausage Gravy and Spicy Chorizo Tofu Scramble.
These budget-friendly, approachable recipes will satisfy staunch meat-lovers, picky eaters, and healthy food fans alike. And for those with a DIY spirit, Nava provides from-scratch recipes for plant-powered ground, meatballs, sausage, bacon-style strips, and more.