Who would have thought that a chick’n salad could offer such a dazzling rainbow of colors and textures? That’s exactly what you get with this composed platter, which is a contemporary innovation rather than a classic. I find that that scallopine-style or cutlet-style plant-based chicken works best for this, but use what you have on hand or is readily available. It will all taste (and look) fantastic.
1/4 cup bottled teriyaki sauce or homemade Teriyaki Sauce
8 to 10 ounces plant-based chicken (see options at left), cut into narrow strips
Mixed baby greens or shredded lettuce to taste
2 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 heaping cup fresh or drained canned pineapple chunks and/or sections of small orange, such as mandarin or clementine
1/2 medium bell pepper, any color, cut into strips
1 cup halved fresh cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 cup whole or halved cashews
Bottled sesame-ginger dressing to taste
- Heat the teriyaki sauce in a medium skillet. Add the chick’n and cook over medium-high heat on both sides, stirring often, until nicely glazed, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Line a large serving platter with salad greens. Arrange the chick’n in two or three spots atop the greens. Alternatively, arrange the chick’n in overlapping pieces or in a couple fo rows.
- Arrange the celery, pineapple and/or orange, bell pepper, tomatoes and cashews in aesthetically pleasing separate mounds on the salad greens.
- Let guests compose their own plates or compose each plate yourself from the components on the platter. Pass the dressing at the table.
by Nava Atlas
Everyone's favorite meaty dishes go vegan with delicious plant-based recipes featuring beefy crumbles, chicken-style strips, sausage, bacon, seafood, and more!
Whether you're exploring vegan options for environmental, ethical, or health reasons, Nava Atlas's protein-focused recipes extend a warm welcome to the plant-powered protein revolution!
Today's innovative meat alternatives prove you don't have to sacrifice meaty flavors to enjoy a plant-based diet. You'll discover new ways to prepare familiar favorites, from nostalgic classics to bold global fare with dishes are kinder to the earth and better for you.
Plant-Powered Protein offers 125 recipes for using plant-based proteins thoughtfully, incorporating whole foods and fresh vegetables. Bridging the divide between the traditional comfort food diet and the whole food plant-based approach, you'll find an array of flavorful, easy recipes including:
- Soups and stews like New England Clamless Chowder and Beefy Barley & Bean Stew
- Comfort favorites like Classic Meat Loaf and Italian-Style Sausage & Peppers
- Global-inspired dishes like Korean Bulgogi Bowls, Mongolian-ish Beef, and Thai-Inspired Beefy Salad
- Diner specialties like Gyros, Philly Cheesesteaks, and "Tuna" Melts;
- Indulgent eats like Carne Asada Fries; Pulled Protein Tacos, and Baked Spaghetti Pie
- Brunch winners like Biscuits with Sausage Gravy and Spicy Chorizo Tofu Scramble.
These budget-friendly, approachable recipes will satisfy staunch meat-lovers, picky eaters, and healthy food fans alike. And for those with a DIY spirit, Nava provides from-scratch recipes for plant-powered ground, meatballs, sausage, bacon-style strips, and more.