Makes 6 sandwiches
Jackfruit is often used as an alternative to pulled pork, and any product that takes the place of meat is a good thing in my book. But in and of itself, jackfruit isn’t a good protein source. Even an average serving of broccoli has about 4 grams of protein, whereas a serving of jackfruit has about 2 grams.
For extra protein and heartiness, this recipe pairs jackfruit with plant protein cut into short narrow pieces or shreds to more or less match the jackfruit’s texture. The triple barbecue flavoring comes from the seasonings added to packaged jackfruit, your favorite barbecue sauce, and barbecue seasoning.
6 to 8 ounces plant protein (plant based chick’n, seitan, or baked tofu)
1 (10-ounce) package barbecue-flavored jackfruit
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
2 teaspoons barbecue seasoning
6 whole-grain rolls or hamburger buns
- Cut the protein into short, narrow shreds or run it through the grating blade of a food processor. If you’re using a firm variety of baked tofu, grate it with a box grater. You may also want to break up pieces of the jackfruit that are in large clumps; lightly mash it with a fork, and it will flake nicely.
- Combine the shredded plant protein, jackfruit, barbecue sauce, and barbecue seasoning in a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce envelopes the mixture nicely and is sizzling hot.
- Distribute the jackfruit mixture over the bottom halves of the rolls, then distribute the coleslaw evenly over it. Cover with the tops of the rolls and serve at once.
Everyone's favorite meaty dishes go vegan with delicious plant-based recipes featuring beefy crumbles, chicken-style strips, sausage, bacon, seafood, and more!
Whether you're exploring vegan options for environmental, ethical, or health reasons, Nava Atlas's protein-focused recipes extend a warm welcome to the plant-powered protein revolution!
Today's innovative meat alternatives prove you don't have to sacrifice meaty flavors to enjoy a plant-based diet. You'll discover new ways to prepare familiar favorites, from nostalgic classics to bold global fare with dishes are kinder to the earth and better for you.
Plant-Powered Protein offers 125 recipes for using plant-based proteins thoughtfully, incorporating whole foods and fresh vegetables. Bridging the divide between the traditional comfort food diet and the whole food plant-based approach, you'll find an array of flavorful, easy recipes including:
- Soups and stews like New England Clamless Chowder and Beefy Barley & Bean Stew
- Comfort favorites like Classic Meat Loaf and Italian-Style Sausage & Peppers
- Global-inspired dishes like Korean Bulgogi Bowls, Mongolian-ish Beef, and Thai-Inspired Beefy Salad
- Diner specialties like Gyros, Philly Cheesesteaks, and "Tuna" Melts;
- Indulgent eats like Carne Asada Fries; Pulled Protein Tacos, and Baked Spaghetti Pie
- Brunch winners like Biscuits with Sausage Gravy and Spicy Chorizo Tofu Scramble.
These budget-friendly, approachable recipes will satisfy staunch meat-lovers, picky eaters, and healthy food fans alike. And for those with a DIY spirit, Nava provides from-scratch recipes for plant-powered ground, meatballs, sausage, bacon-style strips, and more.